9150 questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jseabolt
    • Total Post: 3

I got a 9150 I bought a few months ago off Ebay. I thought it was neat that it was so small and had no moving parts so I decided to buy it and have some fun with it.

I would like to make it more useful. I’m not sure which route to take. As of now about all I can do is surf the internet. Allot of internet radio streaming media won’t work because the version of Media Player is too old.

As of right now I’m using a 2gig USB thumbdrive for extra storage. I’ve manage to run some programs by copying from them from other PC running XP such as the calculator, and older version of Winamp, Teamviewer (similiar to XP’s Remote desktop) which are stored on the thumbdrive. If I get an error for a missing .DLL file I just copy it into the system32 folder.

Is there anyway to dump XPe onto a thumbdrive and let the computer boot off it instead of the flash memory? I’m assuming I would need to partition the USB drive and call the other drive “Z” if possible.

The other idea was to install Windows XP directly onto the thumbdrive. So far I haven’t been successful. I put the CD into my other computer and allow it to pull information through the network. But it tries to install it on the flash memory instead of the thumbdrive. I don’t know how to get the installation CD to specify which location to put XP on. Or should I be using a USB CD reader instead?

The computer out in my garage is running 98SE and I’ve just about milked 98 for all it’s worth. Even though Microsoft abandoned this operating system years ago I have been lucky to find software still supported like Realplayer and I’ve saved old programs I’ve downloaded over the years but I think I am trying to win a loosing battle. Now programs like the latest version of Firefox browser won’t run on 98 and the older version I installed does not have the proper plug-ins for streaming media. It tries looking for version 11 which is not available.

Whatever programs that will run through a network are stored on my PC in my den. So I’d like to do the same thing if possible with my 9150 and replace my old PC with this computer.

I changed the setting in the BIOS so it skips trying to connect to the network first so it will boot up quicker because I don’t know how to set it up.

So what could I do in that case? What sort of software would I need? I tried installing a Citrix program on my main PC but couldn’t get it to work. Or didn’t have the time to figure out how to make it work.

What’s my best option here?

dougy
    • Total Post: 20
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

I think it would update Media Player if you turned off write filter, otherwise updating the operating system to WPe SP2 should give you Media Player 11. I’ve just rried that but it seems the O/S is a bit corrupted on this particular unit because write filter is broken. Had a play with the USB update tools but none of the USB sticks I’ve tried will boot so I guess its back to Wyse Simple Imager.

dougy
    • Total Post: 20
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

The S90 firmware installed fine on my 9150 & gave me Media Player 11 & IE7 once I got a Sandisk Cruzer USB stick. Other sticks just refused to boot even with BIOS updated to 1.15.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.