5070 ThinOS 9.x H264 / AVC 444 Ghosting

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sandman
    Participant
    • Total Post: 9
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

Have an issue that Dell Wyse is not helping with much.  Ticket opened for ~3 weeks.  I find it quite strange that its not a known issue.  Surely others are using H264 RDP..?

New server 2022 RDSH server with prioritize H264 / AVC 444 enabled.  Server has a Nvidia RTX A2000 12GB card.

ThinOS 9.x refuses to decode properly.  Image ghosting with greens + purples.  Unusable.

ThinOS 9.1 refused to even display on 1080P.  Black screen.  But 1440P would display with ghosting, purples, greens.  ThinOS 9.3 resolved 1080P black screen but still decoding corruption.  Both unusable.

ThinOS 8.6 on 5070 works perfectly.

Win10 RDP client works perfectly.

ThinOS 8.6 on 5060 works perfectly.

If I had a dime for every 9.x encountered issue…About to downgrade all clients to 8.6

Others experienced 9.x H264 decoding issues?

Thank you.

lolix
    Participant
    • Total Post: 275
    • Jacked into The Matrix
    • ★★★★★★

During early tests on ThinOS 9 RDP , We experienced green boxs and crashs when playing videos.

Dell advised to disable H264.

Note that because of other shortcomings (such as lack of RemoteFX redirection) we’re still on ThinOS 8 and still evaluating 9 (9.3).

Note also that we disabled H264 for ThinOS 8 as well. (We have no shared GPU)

lolix
    Participant
    • Jacked into The Matrix
    • ★★★★★★

Not that we had similar crashes but video rendering experience is better w/o H264 in our environment (no GPU).

sandman
    Participant
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

Everything with RemoteFX is dead from what I can tell. Old technology Microsoft created to incentivize peeps to use HyperV rather than VMware.

Although dead – the terminology is still referred to in ThinOS 8.6 / WMS policies.  But not in ThinOs 9.x / WMS policies.

Microsoft began to support and utilize the Nvidia Encoder (NVENC) in Server 2019 and subsequently Server 2022.

I am convinced the issue is specific to ThinOS 9.x not working properly with NVENC.  As I’ve been informed.  ThinOS 8.6 is based on Windows where 9.x is based on Linux.  An issue here with ThinOS 9.x Linux based RDP 10 client properly decoding a NVENC h264 encoded video stream.

I can’t even get Wyse to lab it…

Week and half passed after escalation to tier 3 just to be told “cannot recreate issue.”  Upon asking what GPU was used I was told – “none, I don’t have a Nvidia GPU to test with”

FFS – entire ticket is surrounding Nvidia GPU NVENC encoding + ThinOS 9.x decoding.  “Let me test that apple with an orange – I’ll get back to you.”

Frustrated with Wyse…

lolix
    Participant
    • Jacked into The Matrix
    • ★★★★★★

Yes RemoteFX vGPU has been removed but other RemoteFX options persist, in particular the media streaming.

GPO options

– Compression for RemoteFX Data

– Image quality for RemoteFX graphics

How these options  integrate with “prioritize H264” is clear as mud…

(BTW  I don’t think ThinOS 8 is based on Windows.  At least the RDP stack, including RemoteFX is entirely proprietary / closed source. For ThinOS 9 the stack is provided by Microsoft AVD, only packaged by Dell for ThinOS 9)

lolix
    Participant
    • Jacked into The Matrix
    • ★★★★★★

I just tested again w/ latest firmware/ packages

ThinOS 9.3.2102,

H264 hardware decoder enabled.

5070 – bios 1.18

AVD 1.8.1819

Server GPO : “Prioritize H264”

Tried Youtube (which failed in a green box previously) Seems OK…

sandman
    Participant
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

Hi – Not sure on Win 8.6 and Linux 9.x.  Just what Wyse support told me.

Yes I agree old remoteFX and RDP GPU acceleration is clear as mud…

Hmm.  What nvidia GPU installed in your terminal server?

This is with Server 2022 + RTX A2000 12GB.

Playing additional h264 video content within RDP session doesn’t matter for issue we are encountering.

The entire desktop session itself is corrupt as the entire RDP session is encoded by NVENC.

The 5070 9.x doesn’t decode the NVENC h264 encoded RDP session properly.

As mentioned the 5070 on 8.6 decodes properly.  When a 8.6 connects log will output.

08:57:57.111 RDP: Graphics Pipeline is enabled
    08:57:58.477 RDP: Rdp H.264-AVC444 enabled.

I can observe within task manager / GPUz any use of desktop / windows will utilize GPU encoding engine.

I can also observe concurrent GPU encoding sessions with:

nvidia-smi.exe –query-gpu=encoder.stats.sessionCount –format=csv,noheader -i 0″

Which by the way was a learning experience in itself as I found out how greedy Nvidia is to limit concurrent encoding sessions to max of 3 on any desktop GPU.

One must go to Quadro / RTX GPU lineup to unlock GPU encoding sessions despite the fact with only 3 sessions active the GPU is barely used…

I tried a open source trick.  Which did patch properly and unlock – yet terminal services didn’t want to work with the patch and still limited to max 3.  So purchased this A2000 12GB which gives unlimited encoding sessions to terminal server.

https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.