3020 Hardware/ThinOS version Confusion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SWTH
    Participant
    • Total Post: 30
    • Frequent Flyer
    • ★★★

I have 3 Tx0D Wyse 3020 thin clients all running ThinOS 8.x so I needed some more and bought another 3 Tx0D Wyse 3020 thin clients. It seemes these are running ThinOS Lite 2.x and I cannot switch from T00D to T10D firmware.

I’m confused as to why the hardware is identical and the Tx0D part number suggests that either/or T00D or T10D images can be loaded. Also when I go to the Dell site for the T00D devices under the service tags it only offers ThinOS and it says that is what is installed.  Do these all leave the factory as T10D devices and once you have downgraded to T00D you can’t upgrade again? I’m a bit perplexed and can’t work out what the rationale is here and how I’m supposed to find T10D devices from part numbers (and why the part numbers aren’t just T00D/T10D instead of Tx0D).

ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 10696
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

For sure this is confusing.
    Dell had two different flavors of ThinOS in the past.
    One was the full-blown ThinOS with all features.
    The other was originally called Xenith and later ThinOS lite. This version was a Citrix only one. No way to convert a ThinOS to a ThinOS lite or vice versa.
    If you have a pure Citrix environment, then you can easily use ThinOS lite-based devices.
    The firmware version for full ThinOS always started with 8.x. This is comparable with 2.x for ThinOS lite. So, a 3020 with 8.3_011 is comparable with a 3020 with 2.3_011, beside the fact the only Citrix is supported.

CG

SWTH
    Participant
    • Frequent Flyer
    • ★★★

So the only way to get on the right channel is to order the Tx0D as a T00D or T10D from Dell? Seems a totally odd thing to have to do when the hardware is the same.

Sadly I can only use RDP, there is no Citrix environment here so these T00D units are essentially junk even though the hardware is good. Good job on the old carbon footprint Dell!

SWTH
    Participant
    • Frequent Flyer
    • ★★★

The more I look at the Wyse terminals the more lost I get with the Dell part numbering “blunderbuss” approach. Seems it is almost impossible to categorically define what OS is on any device by the part numbers or service tags? It’s annoying as they are nice little units but I am accruing more useless ones than working ones here (using second hand units, I’m not an enterprise admin!) as listings for used units are vague or downright incorrect.

Am I missing something or is the only thing that might tell me what is on the devices is the original Dell part number which isn’t even printed on the units?

ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 10696
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

Yes, only the part number would tell you 100% what OS is running on the device.

CG

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.